Thursday, May 17, 2012

Georgia O'Keeffe






One of the last art projects we completed this year was inspired by Georgia O'Keeffe.  I had the students make a large flower drawing on paper.  The flowers needed to be larger than the page, so that not all of the petals were showing.  Next, I mixed up a fun little concoction.  I poured some black acrylic paint inside 5 half empty glue bottles.  We shook up the bottles to create black glue.  Students traced their pencil lines with the black glue.  Once dried, we headed outdoors to the sidewalk and watercolored.  I'm glad we went out there because we had a couple of spills!  I love the bright colors and was really impressed with how they turned out.  You could add any color of acrylic paint to the glue bottles.  It does take a little bit of muscle to shake, never use a bottle of glue that is nearly full!  The moms really liked these and we got several compliments when they were hanging up.  Remind students that there should be NO white showing when they watercolor. The whole paper should be painted.

4 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful!! What a great idea :)

    Katie
    Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. We have an Art day every year and I think this will be an activity we will need to do.

    Your blog is precious! I am your newest follower and I would love for you to come and visit me when you get the chance.


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great art idea!
    I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the art! I just found your blog on TpT! I am now a follower! I teach 2nd grade in a small town in the North Georgia Mountains!

    Teresa

    2nd Grade Pig Pen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing some love!